Sunday, October 18, 2009

Leaf Fun

The prompt for Watercolor Wednesday this week was Autumn colors and kids. I really enjoyed painting a little pile of leaves with my watercolors.



I really liked how it turned out, but it wasn't really an illustration yet. I had to think of a way for that pile of leaves to tell a story. I wanted to be original so tried to think outside the box. I came up with the idea of kids playing in leaves that were HUGE! My next dilemma was that I really didn't want to ruin the leaves I'd painted. I wanted to be able to use them for another illustration in the future. My solution was to scan them into photoshop. Then I used the lasso and delete key to "cut out" the leaves from the background.

I painted a digital background and stuck my leaves on top. Then I painted little children frolicking amongst them. I really struggled with color. I kept changing the saturation and hue of the children trying to make them stand out more. Finally I decided it was good enough and posted it.


It was a good learning piece and I still have my painted autumn leaves, untouched and ready for use in another project.

StumbleUpon.com

1 comment:

illustration poetry said...

... i didnt know that you used photoshop :) but this is good!

wish you a leafy fun weekend, ok!

xx

Acrylic Swirls

Acrylic Swirls
Who says you can't have depth with acrylics?